Monday, September 27, 2010

WO AI NI

At one of our Chinese classes, our instructor, James Wang, emphasized to us that the most important phrase we could remember is "wo ai ni". It is pronounced like : "wa-eye-knee" (say the "wa" as in water). It means "I love you".

I can't help but think of that special phrase over and over when I review the videos we were so blessed to receive from our adoption agency after they returned from visiting Shaling's orphanage this past April. Here is one of my favorites (she is the one in the white turtleneck):

Shaling from Amy Reynolds on Vimeo.



Her smile is just so natural and bright. It warms my heart to see her be a little clingy with one of her caregivers and I so hope she has retained that desire to be hugged and held by the time we get her.

Preston, like us, is so anxious to get her that he tries not to think about it often, so as not to get too discouraged that it is taking so long for us to become a family of four. However, I enjoyed this story that "Miss Beth" from Rochester United Methodist Church shared with me. Apparently, one little boy was complaining about his sister and said that because she was so annoying, he just didn't pay any attention to her. Miss Beth teasingly asked the entire group of kids, "you don't treat your sisters like that, do you?"

Preston responded, "I can't pay attention to my sister; she's in China."

No comments:

Post a Comment