Thursday, July 14, 2011

"I watch TV"

Last night in the car, Shaling was chattering away to us about her experience at Vacation Bible School that evening. As we were smiling and nodding along, Brock stopped to compliment her on just how good her English has gotten. We told her we were proud of her. She said, "Uh-huh! I watch tee-vee!"

We both cringed to realize she is crediting the television with helping her learn English, but her opinion is not without merit. We have several movies that have the option of English subtitles, Mandarin subtitles, or no subtitles at all. Believe it or not, she nearly always chooses English subtitles...and she really does do her best to read the words as they go across the screen. She is hearing the words spoken correctly as she reads the letters, so I think there is some benefit.

Don't worry -- we aren't relying this on our only tool. We (Brock especially) do read books with her and she attempts to read all sorts of things on her own. After all, we really wouldn't want her walking around saying, "I tawt I taw a puddycat" or "I'd like to buy a vowel", now would we?

******************

For those who don't follow me on Facebook, let me re-share this quick story. Tuesday morning, I was having "one of those" mornings that we all have from time-to-time. I was struggling to get out of bed, struggling to get ready...no motivation, etc. I left the house about 40 minutes later than usual (I usually leave before anyone else -- including Brock -- is out of bed). As I headed downstairs, Brock had begun getting ready and I told him to have a good day. As I stopped in the kitchen to grab my purse and leave for work before I changed my mind and went back to bed, I heard footsteps on the stairs. I turned to look and Shaling came tiptoeing into the room in her nightgown and cheerfully said, "Good morning, Mom" and leaned in to give me a big hug. Made my whole day!

1 comment:

  1. This totally made me laugh out loud!! My kids say they know Spanish too...thanks to Dora the Explorer... lol

    Great to see all of the pics. Your family has so much fun!
    Sheri

    ReplyDelete