Monday, June 10, 2013

Basketball & Ice Cream

Lord help me, this girl's strong will is going to do me in. Last week, she attended basketball camp at Rochester High School. This week, she is going to basketball camp at Lincoln Land Community College. We are paying our neighbor, Erin, to shuttle her back and forth so we don't have to take off work. I found out last Friday that every single day last week, Shaling talked Erin into taking her out for ice cream after camp. That was not part of the agreed upon deal. Not that I really care about the ice cream; I am sure Shaling MORE than burned off the calories during camp. Plus, she is not a good milk drinker, so the calcium is a benefit.

However, I would like Shaling to learn proper etiquette -- if someone offers to buy you something, it's ok to say "yes, please", "no, thank you", or "yes, thank you." I am trying to convince her that it is rude to flat out ask. So, I explained this the best I could and her response was, "but, I like ice cream." Duh. Stupid Mom. Of course, I went on to explain that is beside the point.

So, fast forward to today. Erin picks Shaling up from basketball camp. Shaling borrows Erin's phone. She calls ME to ask, "Mom, can I have ice cream?"
Color me stupified.

For those of you not on Facebook, you might get an even better kick out of this conversation Shaling had with Erin. Erin is in her early 20s and has a steady boyfriend, Nick. Nick is currently serving our country in Afghanistan and Erin explained to Shaling that he is not coming home until November. Shaling responded, "It's good to have a boyfriend, but you should also have another boy to have a crush on in case you get tired of waiting or you break up." Yes, God; my 11-year-old, with just under 2.5 years in America, has already figured out the "back-up plan". Please keep your arms wrapped around both of us.

Back to basketball -- Shaling has spent the last two weekends participating in basketball tournaments. Her team is relatively raw compared to most of the competition and have gone 4-6 in 10 games, but we have seen growth in every game. She is having a blast playing and is actively listening, striving to get better, and it shows!

1 comment:

  1. At least you have her backup plan written down so you can remind her in later years. Zora is my only boy crazy girl right now and I am so happy!! Tessa and Kendalan tell me that boys are gross!

    ReplyDelete