Saturday, March 5, 2011

Hodge Podge Update

Shaling started volleyball this week with the local youth athletic association. She loves it! This morning she was asking me “volleyball?” I had to tell her not today. A large group of girls there immediately took her under their wing. They know her from school and recognize when she doesn’t understand the coach’s instructions. They’re quick to gesture to her what she should do and where she should go.

Her English is coming along well. In fact, I am just going to cut & paste my husband’s last Facebook status on this subject:

Shaling's English continues to improve in such small increments each day that I usually don't even notice. Tonight I did notice when Preston had a little coughing fit she proceeded to ask, "Preston, are you okay?" A rare complete sentence. The progress is amazing. I can't wait to see what she sounds like in another 2 months.


She is starting to accept that we aren’t going to eat out at Chinese restaurants every day. We are doing better at making sure she has a variety of fruits to choose from here at home.

This morning, I’m going to spoil her a little bit – I’m going to take her in for her first pedicure (I didn’t have one until I was 39-years-old). It’s going to be 3-generational maternal outing: Grandma-Mom-Shaling. I had her put on shorts and sweat pants for this…that is when she thought she was going to volleyball.

Wish her luck next week as she has to take her first standardized tests here in America - the ISATs here in Illinois.

No comments:

Post a Comment