Thursday, March 17, 2011

Trust

A few days ago, I took the kids to Wal-Mart to purchase some snacks for the car ride to Florida. Preston wanted to eat supper at the McDonald's inside of Wal-Mart (I've let him do this several times while I shopped). I took him to the counter, ordered & paid, then handed him our "house phone" -- we dropped our land line a couple of years ago, but transferred the number to a cell phone. I told him to call us when he finished eating.

Shaling & I completed our shopping, but he hadn't called yet. I couldn't take the cart to McDonald's, or I'd risk someone thinking I was trying to walk out without paying. So, I put Shaling with the cart next to a specialty display in the main aisle. Then, I told her to stay there and I would be right back. I went to McDonald's to prod Preston to hurry up and came back.

Now, you might say, "what's the big deal?" Doesn't sound like anything went wrong and both kids were fine.

THAT is exactly the big deal to me...this little girl, who has only known her Mom & Dad for just over two months, already has enough faith & trust in us to know that I was not abandoning her...to know that I was going to come back. Despite being in a gigantic store surrounded by lots of people, none of whom spoke Chinese, she didn't hesitate for a second when I asked her to stay there and I'd be right back. She smiled and said "ok." When I rounded the corner to return to her, she was checking out a t-shirt display, not the least bit worried.

I cannot overstate enough what a powerful emotion that evoked in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment