Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend

With Mom & Dad each taking an adult trip (two different directions) this weekend, Preston & Shaling spent the weekend at Grandma & Grandpa's house in Carlinville. Their weekend began when I met my mother in a parking lot near where she had been doing some shopping here in Springfield last Thursday night. As soon as Shaling saw my mom's car, she began shrieking, "Grandma's CAR! Grandma, Grandma, Grandma...I like Grandma." As I mentioned on Facebook last Friday, if I for even one second had concerns about how Shaling would do with extended family, I wasted that second.

On Saturday, Preston spent some time with Aunt Joanna & Grandpa while Shaling accompanied my mom and aunt to an annual strawberry festival -- craft booths, kettle corn, tours of an old mansion & old schoolhouse, down-home cooking, and of course, strawberry shortcake (and much more). Shaling talked my mother into buying me a St. Louis Cardinals necklace, as well as necklaces for her (her initial 'S') and Preston (Chicago Cubs). She also enjoyed a pony ride:



Mom also purchased a used bike. She already had ONE, but both kids wanted to ride bikes at the same time at Grandma's house.



I asked her if the kids were being spoiled and was told no.

On Sunday, my mom & her friend Shelley, my two kids, my cousin's daughter niece Maggie, my aunt & uncle, their son & daughter-in-law, and their 3 kids, all went to Grant's Farm in St. Louis. There is much to see there, but I think Shaling was especially impressed with the Clydesdale horses.

My parents had been working for awhile at getting their pool open for the summer season -- getting the right chemical balance, water-sealing their deck, etc. Monday morning, it was nearly ready for swimming. Preston spent the morning helping Grandma put all of the furniture (umbrella table & 4 chairs, some lounge chairs & small tables, some trunks for holding towels & pool toys) back on the deck, plus getting out all of the cushions. He also did the pool vacuuming for her.

Then, both kids got in a lot of swim time, though apparently Shaling thought the water was C-O-L-D. By the time I picked them up Monday afternoon, I think they both grew about six inches. I was quite ready to see them, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that both kids were ready to go home, even Shaling, my little Grandma-magnet.

No comments:

Post a Comment