Friday, June 24, 2011

A Phone Conversation w/Grandma

On the way to her softball game last night, Shaling asked me if Grandma was going to be at her softball game. I told her no, but that she could call and ask Grandma if she would come to her next one (tomorrow, Saturday, at 9:00 a.m.). She indicated that she wanted to do that, so I dialed my mom’s number and handed the phone to Shaling. The conversation, from what I could hear, went something like this:

“Grandma?”

“You come to my softball game Sat-ur-day?”

“Nine-Oh-Clock”

At this point, assuming I knew what my mom was going to ask, I told Shaling, “morning.”

“Good morning.”

“Mom, where my game?”

I told her, “Rochester”.

“Ro-chest-er.”

“Yeah.”

“Ok.”

“Goodbye!”

At that point I interjected, “Wait. I want to talk to Grandma.”

“Grandma…wait, wait…Grandma? Mom talk to YOU.”

Before I got to the reason I wanted to talk to my mom, I asked her how impressed she was with that conversation, making note of just how far we’ve come. She was definitely impressed, telling me that she understood ALL of what Shaling was telling her.

Also, if you missed my post on Facebook, you might get a kick out of this story too. On the way to that game, I stopped to get gas. I let the kids each get a snack. Shaling chose sunflower seeds. I asked her if she was sure she knew how to eat those. She replied, “Yeah. I eat these in China.”

Sure enough, she opened the bag, popped one in her mouth, sucked the salt off, broke it open & ate the kernel, then spit out the seed. She even asked Preston for the discarded bag from his donut so she could use it for discarding her seeds. I think she definitely had eaten those in China.

No comments:

Post a Comment