Monday, June 6, 2011

Weird Al, Reunion with Pal, & Tantrum Royale

Last night, we had front row tickets to see Weird Al Yankovic here in Springfield. We took both kids and though I know Shaling didn't understand all of the lyrics, she giggled and had a good time. I took a few pictures and then handed her my camera. She took about 5 times as many pictures as I did.

We wore matching shirts that I had purchased from an adoption fundraiser.


Weird Al sings "I want to be your lover" to the crowd.


Earlier this weekend, Star (HengXin) Stowell came for a visit. The girls enjoyed chattering away in Chinese and swimming together at the Elks Club. Star and her dad, sister, & brother also watched Shaling's softball game.

The girls act silly.


They find themselves to be hilarious.


On Saturday, we were working to put our house back together after having new flooring installed. I realized no one had collected the mail. I asked Preston to go get it. Then, I changed my mind and asked Shaling to get it, because I noticed she had shoes on and he did not. She was L-I-V-I-D, stomping out of the room muttering and stomping down the stairs. I told her to watch her attitude.

After she'd been gone a rather unreasonable amount of time, I went looking for her. I found her sitting in a swing in the backyard, glaring lasers into the ground pouting and staring downward. I told her to get inside and she ignored me. I then told her if I had to come get her, she would be grounded for two days (no bicycle, no video games, no movies) and followed that up with a notice that she had 10 seconds. She again ignored me.

I walked over and scooped her up into my arms, telling her that if she was going to behave like a brat, I was going to treat her like one. She began crying instantaneously. I carried her into the kitchen and set her down, telling her to get upstairs. She complied, but cried and screamed louder with every step, attempting, but failing, to gain sympathy from Dad. She did, however, gain some sympathy from Preston, who quizzed me on what she WOULD be allowed to do while grounded. He was relieved to find out she could still play outside.

I let her sit in her room for awhile, then went in and sat down quietly. I eventually asked her if she was ready to be nice. When I received no response, I told her she could stay in there a bit longer and went back to helping Brock put our bedroom back together. After a few minutes, she came walking in to our room carrying a few stuffed animals and a picture of "Mom" & "Shaling" that she drew several weeks ago. I initially thought she was ready to reconcile, but when she threw the items down on my dresser, I quickly realized she was returning to me anything in her room that was associated with me.

As she left the room, I grinned at Brock and told him what she was doing. I found her attempt to display her independence somewhat humorous. He went in and talked to her, telling her it might be a good idea to apologize to Mom. It took her another 10 minutes or so, but eventually she did. By Saturday night, she was cuddling with me again and telling me she loved me, so all is well (until the next Mother-Daughter battle). The teenage years should be fun around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment