Sunday, December 4, 2011

Grieving for China

Shaling has been "missing" China a lot lately. She wants to go visit her old school; she talks about what things are/aren't also in China; etc. It's a natural grieving type of thing that I can't really make better, which of course makes me feel helpless as a parent. The good news is that she doesn't seem too terribly down about it, but I know she misses several people she cared about. I'm sure food, language, and other things are a part of it as well.

Wednesday will mark 11 months here in the United States. Perhaps the fact that we're so close to the one year mark is part of it. Perhaps the holidays are part of it. I'm not sure what all is factoring in. However, tonight, she and Preston dug out some DVDs that we brought home from China. They are cartoon episodes of the Happy Lamb, a popular cartoon in China. They are in Chinese, but Preston giggles away right with Shaling when they watch them. I've been enjoying sitting here listening to their bursts of laughter. We've had a particular stressful week around here and the sounds of enjoyment they are emitting are a wonderful respite.

On an entirely different note, I would appreciate any and all of my blog followers that are believers saying a prayer for my cousin Joanna tonight and/or tomorrow. In the morning, she'll be having surgery to remove cancer from her tongue. At 37-years-old, this is her third go-around with mouth cancer. They did run a CAT scan that showed it hasn't spread anywhere else (thank God), but she will be losing a significant portion of her tongue. I love her dearly so I would appreciate it if you would lift her, her fiance Mike, and her daughter Maggie all up in prayer.

2 comments:

  1. We put up our Christmas tree this evening and I asked Tessa if they celebrated Christmas in China. She says, "Really Mom?" Then tells me no. So I asked her if she misses China and/or wants to go back? She says she wants to stay here because she "Loves us!" :)

    We will keep your cousin in our thoughts and prayers. Such a young age. Hoping her third time around and she will be through with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome about Tessa...you've come so far since Gotcha Day. You are very blessed with your girls.

    ReplyDelete