Monday, November 21, 2011

Decorating for Shaling's 1st Christmas in the USA (Videos)

As I told my Facebook friends late last night, I typically have a severe aversion to Christmas decorating. Not the decorations, which I love to look at, but the act of putting them up and the act of putting them away. It's one area of our lives in which Brock typically spoils me and does it with little or no help from me. However, this year is different. We brought the boxes up from the basement yesterday evening and Shaling immediately lit up like a Hollywood spotlight.

She helped fluff out the branches and inserted them in the appropriate parts of the tree. She excitedly dug through the boxes of Christmas statues, teddy bears, and trinkets, oohing and aahing at each one. She sat by in anxious anticipation as I unveiled each ornament to be hung on the tree. She put Santa hats on each and every one of us. She danced; she sang; she repeatedly exclaimed, "I love Christmas"! Her attitude was so contagious that it was impossible to be a grinch.

She (in her Barbie pajamas) & Preston (in his Spongebob pajamas) have starring roles in the following 5 brief videos. Reminder -- if you get my blog via email, the videos are not included; you have to come out to the blog to see them.

In video 1, Preston & Shaling are being goofy & belly laughing as they hang toys from Frosty's hat (Frosty dances & sings).


I filmed video 2 because the kids suddenly realized I had been videoing and asked me to video again. They continue to be nonsensical, dancing & jumping around as Brock puts up the tree.


In video 3, Preston & Shaling wish you a "Merry Christmas" and jingle bells. Shaling puts Dad's santa hat back on his head. Preston practices to be a Salvation Army bell ringer. Mom comments on her messy living room.


Video 4 features Shaling dancing & singing with a Christmas teddy bear. Braxtina, our 17-year-old cat, surveys the situation.


In video 5, Shaling treats us to "Jingle Bells", as sung in Chinese (Mandarin).

1 comment:

  1. Awwww. I love hearing Shaling sing Jingle Bells in Mandarin!! Tessa says she doesn't remember how to sing it in Chinese :( I hope that Shaling is able to retain her language! I am also a bah humbug usually for Christmas season...we will be putting up our tree Thanksgiving day and I bet I will have some excited helpers!!

    ReplyDelete