Monday, April 2, 2012

No More Dr. Huang

Today, Shaling took a battery of hearing tests at Dr. Huang's office in order to evaluate how much of her hearing was restored due to her eardrum repair surgery last September. If you were not yet following our blog last September and you are interested, feel free to read about Shaling's surgery day here: I want to go home. The brief recap is that when we arrived home in America, we quickly discovered that she had a hole in her right eardrum, causing some significant hearing loss. It was caused by profuse ear infections, from which she was still suffering. So, we had to get those infections cleared up before we could do surgery. We were thrilled to find out today that her right ear is back to hearing just as well as her left ear.

Dr. Huang is a sweet, kind man who has enjoyed chatting with Shaling in both Chinese & English, so it does sadden me that we won't be seeing him anymore. Shaling? Not-so-much. When he said that she wouldn't have to come see him anymore, she cheered, celebrated, & grinned ear-to-ear. Ornery girl.

Speaking of ornery...

While we were in the waiting room, she spotted a child-sized chair and decided to occupy it. She then came over to me and conspiratorially whispered, "I like using small chair because I have small butt."

If you are friends with me on Facebook, you may or may not have gotten a double chuckle out of that. You see, recently, I went to sit down at the kitchen table to help her with her homework when she exclaimed, "Mom, I think you need two chairs because you have big butt."

That's my girl.

Luckily for her, I love her to pieces, so she survived.

1 comment:

  1. I had a perforated eardrum; found out when I was a feshman in college. They tried ear drops, patches, and finally did surgery to repair it. Probably also caused by multipe eaer infections as a kid. I've always had ear problems. Now I sport 2 hearing aids. Glad Shaling had better results!

    ReplyDelete