Friday, October 1, 2010

We got our LOA -- doin' the happy dance!

Our adoption agency emailed me after hours today to let me know that they received our LOA today. That is China's official approval that we can be Shaling's family. Our agency will forward the letter on to us. We will have to sign it and send it back to confirm that yes, we still want this specific child.

The next few steps as I understand them are:

We have to file an I-800 with U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Service. This is in order to get permission to classify Shaling as an immediate relative. Approval should come within two to three weeks.

Our I-800 will be sent to the NVC (National Visa Center), who will then send information to the U.S. Consulate in Guangzhou. This will take about two weeks.

Our Article 5 will be processed. This is the U.S. informing China that they agree that we can adopt this particular child and that all Hague (international adoption) requirements are met.

After the China Center for Adoption Affairs (CCAA) receives our Article 5, we can get Travel Approval. I believe we have to go to the Chinese Consulate in Chicago to get our visas.

Our Consulate appointment will be arranged. Our travel dates will be dependent on that appointment. It will be approximately 10 days after we arrive in China (and 2 or 3 days before we leave to come home).

I think our estimate of December or January, with early January being more probable, is now pretty firm.

2 comments:

  1. Well my friend, I pray that your journey is shortened as the days go by. That each milepost whips by in fast order.

    I'll pray that you get her before year's end. Christmas in China would be a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tim! I can't wait to follow the next leg of your own journey.

    ReplyDelete