Monday, August 22, 2011

First Day of 4th & 6th Grade

Today was a big day around these here parts. Lots of new clothes, new backpacks, new school supplies, & new "titles" -- freshman, 1st grader, 7th grader, etc. In our house, it was "4th grader" & "6th grader". In several houses in our neighborhood, things were a flurry as parents scrambled to get kids out of bed, fed, dressed, & out the door. I myself do not get to experience that joy, as I leave for work before anyone else's alarm clock rings (at least in our house).

However, I get to hear plenty about it from Brock. Oh - and sometimes I DO get to experience it via telephone. Take today, for instance. I had carefully picked out Shaling's outfit for her first day of school (with Shaling's assistance) yesterday. We chose a gray ruffled skirt, a pink shirt with a cat & lots of "bling" (with gray highlights here & there), & white tights. We also settled on her wearing ner new Barbie tennis shoes instead of sandals.

Well...I get a call from her this morning. She wanted to know if she should wear socks too. I think there was also some confusion over whether she should wear underwear AND tights. Dad, of course, has no experience in these matters and was no help. And by no help I mean he is one of the very reasons that the fashion police even exist.

It seems that overall, the morning went well. Brock even remembered to take several "First Day of School" pictures for me, despite the fact that I only asked or reminded him to do so roughly 10 or 20 times & left the camera smack dab in the middle of the counter where he prepares breakfast. Being the good man that he is, he followed through on the mission for me, but unfortunately, my daughter was uncooperative.

If you look at some of these pictures, you'd think she was irate that she had to go to school. However, that would be false. She was in a good mood -- just an ornery one. She didn't want to help her dad out. She gave him false glares, turned her head, anything to avoid allowing a decent picture. A couple of the pictures were snapped as she turned her head & if you look closely, you'll see a smirk starting to roll out the side of her mouth. By the time she did give a nice smile, Preston was so bored of posing for pictures that he isn't smiling.

Anyway, here are the pictures.


Shaling, just before Dad gets her out of bed.

Preston, just before Dad gets him out of bed.

The kids enjoy their breakfast; Shaling's bad attitude towards the camera has begun in earnest.


Preston & Shaling arrive at the neighbors' house where they usually catch the bus.


The kids stand with several of their neighborhood buddies, ready for the bus to come.


Dad trying very hard to get a good picture of both kids.





Ah, yes, her getaway vehicle has arrived.


The school bus finally takes her away from the evil clicks of Dad's camera.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, they can be ornery when it comes to the camera, can't they? And, my husband never fails to fail when it comes to dressing the kids. Ugh. Hope the first day was great despite wardrobe issues and being lens shy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think the majority of men could be ticketed by the fashion police. Glad to hear my kid isn't the only one that doesn't cooperate for the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have my husband tell you about the time that he helped them dress before school. Seems it was picture day and one of the girls had their shirt on backwards!! I guess no one at school noticed it either...but it was the first thing I saw!!

    ReplyDelete