Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Surgery & Silliness

Shaling saw Dr. Huang today. He says her ear looks good (clean), so we will proceed with the eardrum repair surgery next Thursday. She will be put under & he will scrape away some tissue from under her skin behind her ear. Then, he will insert the tissue into the hole in her eardrum. He should be able to do all of this through her ear canal, so as not to have to cut a deep incision behind her ear.

Today is the first time I think she understood me well when I explained what was going to happen. She reacted with fear -- even covering her ears to show she didn't even want to hear about it. When she did listen, I explained she would be asleep when it happened. She indicated that she wouldn't be able to sleep, so I explained that the doctor would give her medicine to sleep. She thought that was funny & giggled for several minutes.

When we got home, Preston was quite depressed -- he'd had a rough day. He forgot his lunch; he found out he missed his percussion sectional yesterday; he realized he misunderstood the instructions on two science assignments. He was telling me about it while I sorted laundry. Suddenly, Shaling grabbed one of my bras & slung it over her shoulders and behind her back. She began proudly prancing around saying, "look at my new backpack!" She even showed it off to the cat. Preston began belly-laughing & all of the sudden his bad day was behind him. It was so rewarding to see him cheer up so quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment