Thursday, April 22, 2010

We attended an Open House at Preston's middle school Tuesday evening. He proudly showed off some artwork, his locker, some poetry, how organized his desk was, etc. What he didn't show us, but Brock noticed and pointed out to me, was a paragraph Preston had to write about a life changing event. Some kids had written about when they moved or when they started school, etc. Preston wrote about a future life changing event. He excitedly discussed how he was going to become a big brother and get a sister from China. He says it will be like having a friend over every day and that he really hopes they're good friends, because that would be great. I know I'm a biased Momma, but I found that so touching and can't wait to include that paragraph in a scrapbook.

I wrapped up another online adoption course, Travel and Transition. I find it fascinating how in a lot of the readings I've completed I run across something that seems so logical it should be common sense, yet I haven't yet thought of it.

For example, I'm bringing some new outfits for Shaling with me to China (and it is suggested I do so, as she won't have but an outfit or two). I'm anxiously looking forward to giving them to her, as I'm sure she hasn't received much (if ANY new clothing) and I think it will be a treat for her. However, it is suggested that I don't get in too big of a hurry to have her change out of her old clothing, as it will smell familiar and comforting to her. It is one more part of her she'll have to give up. It is also suggested that I launder the new clothing before taking it to her, as new clothing is usually much crisper than old clothing. The feel of it may be very unfamiliar to her.

I was also intrigued to read that often, children adopted from China are traumatized by the thought of sleeping alone in their own room. They've never slept in a room by themselves, had their own room, etc. It is suggested that perhaps I start out sleeping with her until she has at least partially bonded with us. Then, we're to be very reassuring that we still love her as we encourage her to partake in the American custom of sleeping in one's own room, alone.

I just finished reading the book, Adoption is a Family Affair!, by Patricia Irwin Johnston. It is the book that was most recommended to us. In fact, it was suggested that we purchase it and pass it around to family members. It is very easy reading and I'm hoping I can talk some family members into reading it. There are some excellent, practical suggestions for friends and extended family members included. That being said, the tone of the book was a turn-off at times. I felt that occasionally the author was a bit condescending. Unfortunately, that affected how thoroughly I read certain sections.

I have my work cut out for me this weekend. I need to go through three large tubs of clothing that my Aunt Betty brought up last Saturday when she attended our trivia night. They came from my cousin Traci and are clothing that came from her younger daughter, Ashley. I am excited about organizing them into drawers and Shaling's closet.

Well, I'm off to select another book to read, as I've got to do two more book reports.

1 comment:

  1. We also purchased that book and while I also felt some parts were condescending, I felt it was needed for certain family members as my feelings were more strong and irritated that I felt they should feel that the author was condescending. I guess that's kind of mean, but I was irritated (which is why I purchased the book in the first place).

    ReplyDelete