Monday, June 21, 2010

100 Good Wishes Quilt Update (and Deadline)

If you are participating in our 100 Good Wishes Quilt, thank you so very much! Would you please get me your 8 X 8 inch square of fabric BEFORE Labor Day weekend, so I can deliver it to my mother-in-law that weekend? That will give her a chance to lay them out and plan how we want to pattern them to take best advantage of the various colors included. She is going to do the sewing for me.

Then, we're very excited to announce that Brock's Great Aunt Annabelle, a very talented quilter, is taking on the challenge of completing the quilting for us. If you missed my February 20 post - We've settled on a name!, Shaling's middle name is going to be Annabelle!

The large index card with your other scrap of fabric and quote, message, poem, lyric, or Bible verse can come later...but I would prefer to get it by October 1, so I can put Shaling's scrap book together before we leave for China. We're still not sure when that will be, but we think October or November...could be later.

For those who missed my description of the quilt and the significance it holds for us and Shaling, please see my June 2 blog entry: Bai Jia Bei.

Below are some of the pieces of fabric Preston and I selected today. The first one is the fabric that will separate all of the various squares that will be included. I chose red because it is a very important color in Chinese culture. An ancient Chinese proverb reflects that importance: "An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but it will never break."



Musical notes, since all 3 of us play at least one musical instrument, and music also played a large role in Brock & I's courtship:


Preston wanted lime green:


Brock really wanted basketballs; I couldn't find them in cotton and had to go with fleece:


An Oriental-themed print I liked:


Various Chinese themed prints:


Some patriotic prints I found attractive:


Baseball prints, both red & blue, to represent Brock & I's opposing team allegiances:


3 prints I liked: turtles & ladybugs, flowers & ladybugs, and butterflies; I got plenty extra of the butterflies so I can participate in square exchanges with other adopting families

1 comment:

  1. Hi, my name is Cristina, and I live in Barcelona, Spain. And I'm doing too the bai jia bei for my baby, and I asked me, if you want to change with me a patch for our bai jia bei, we wil be very happy! If you want to change, here is my e-mail ti contact me:

    nacristai@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete