Monday, August 30, 2010

Staff gifts, orphanage gifts, quilt squares & more

I’m doing what I can to get ready for our trip to China now. We are supposed to bring gifts for the orphanage director and nannies – nothing specific – just some gifts of appreciation. It is recommended that the gifts be practical, rather than knick-knacky. I purchased 8 Old Navy flag shirts for $2.50 each on sale. I also bought some scented hand sanitizers. I’ll pack flattened gift bags and do the actual packaging of the gifts once in China. I would like to buy one or two more items for the gift bags. If you see a great sale on any of the following items, please let me know: brand name cosmetic gift bags, decorative stationary & envelopes, socks, decorative paper plates or napkins, sachets.

We’ve also been told that the orphanage appreciates it when you think of the kids left behind and brings gifts for them. If anyone can help me find an economical way to purchase digital thermometers, pediatric vitamins, washable shower books, colorful posters, cleft palate pacifiers, cleft palate nipples, crib mobiles, or children’s socks, shoes, & underwear, please let me know. I’ll fill one suitcase with those sorts of items and that will be Shaling’s suitcase on the way home.

Over the last week or two, I’ve collected lots & lots of gorgeous and unique quilt squares for Shaling’s quilt. I cannot wait to get to Indiana this weekend and put them with the squares I’ve already sent home with Nancy. We’ve got to be really close to the goal of 100-120 squares. I’m anxious to count them and see. I’m mesmerized by the unique variety of patterns and the obvious effort that was put into selecting meaningful fabrics. My recent thanks for squares goes to Mom, Aunt Betty, Aunt Ann, Darlene, & Aunt Sandee. Some of those ladies also worked as “middle men” for me, collecting squares from some of my cousins & siblings, nieces & nephews.

We’re still waiting on our LID, Log-In Date…but I’ve been told that we may not be notified of our LID until it is actually 2 to 3 weeks old, so I’ve not overly anxious just yet.

I know this blog is focused on our adoption adventure, but I’m going to take a tangent here and offer a public congratulations to our son, Preston. As most of our family knows, he had a big week last week.

He is in 5th grade, which is the first year for band at Rochester. He’s been taking drum lessons for two years, in the hopes that he could play percussion in the band. At band information night we were informed that nearly 120 students joined the band and between 60 & 70 of them selected percussion as their first or second choice of instrument. There were auditions for an anticipated 6 (yes, SIX) percussion slots. Preston made it!

He also auditioned for the Sangamon Valley Youth Symphony, which has three different ensembles. Preparatory Orchestra, Concert Orchestra, Symphony Orchestra. We were thrilled to find out that he made the intermediate level ensemble, the Concert Orchestra. He’s going to be a busy boy, but I think it’ll be great for him to get to interact and perform with youth from other area schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment