Tuesday, August 31, 2010

We got a letter from Shaling! :-)

I woke up to some very exciting news today. Shaling wrote us a letter and seems genuinely excited about her American family. Nothing like starting your day off with a good (but happy) cry! She wrote the letter on June 11, so I’m a bit confused as to why it took the orphanage so long to get it to us, but I’m not going to let any disappointment over the timing dampen my enthusiasm for the content.

Angela at http://www.ladybugsnlove.com is my go-between and translator. Here is her email verbatim:

I have received a letter and pictures from Long Sha Ling today! According to the date on the letter, it was written long time ago. Not sure why the orphanage just sent it to me. Maybe they forgot. They mailed it to me almost end of August, and I just got it.

I will scan one of the pictures (both sides) and take picture of the other one because it is too big.

On one side of the picture, it looks like computer game and keyboard, on the other side she wrote some characters and on the bottom it says “To daddy, mommy and big brother in America…….Let’s have fun together”. Then she draw two smiling people. So cute!

On the big pictures, she wrote a letter:

Dear daddy, mommy (and Preston),

Hello every one! I am so excited to receive the pictures you sent to me! Your smile made me very happy.

My name is Long Sha Ling. I am 10 years old. My hobby: ice skating, draw, play Yo Yo…… I like red. I like to eat bread. I like music, art, and gym (sport). I will look at the gifts you sent to me often.

(I wish I could see you all soon and live with you).

(Thank you very much for the gifts you sent to me. I love the gifts and the cake very much)

Long Sha Ling
June 11, 2010

I will mail the original letter and pictures to you as soon as I can. Before I mail it, I want to make sure the address I have is correct:


Sounds like we might have a tomboy on our hands – she likes sports and we previously found out she likes to play with cars. I’m a little confused as to why she says she’s 10-years-old. Her file indicates a birthday of October 5, 2001, making her not quite 9-years-old. I am following up to try and solve the discrepancy.

Glad she likes music, since we’re such a musical family – Preston with the drums (and piano), Brock with the baritone and me with the trumpet, French horn, & baritone. Plus, Brock & I’s experience with the Marching Illini and Illini basketball band is a big part of who we are.

She’s on her own with art, as I’m not sure any of us have a strong talent or enthusiasm there. However, thanks to the Nelson Center, we’ll be able to foster her enjoyment of ice skating. It also looks like I need to go out and buy a Yo-Yo or two.

With her birthday approaching, I hope to write her back and send another small package to her soon. I plan to let her know just how happy her letter made us.



No comments:

Post a Comment