Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Full Day School

Shaling started full day school yesterday. She rode the bus both in the morning and in the afternoon. She came barreling in the door with an excited, "Mom, Mom..." calling for me. She then started pulling papers out of her backpack to show them to me. She had some vocabulary papers, some pictures (which if I understood correctly, a couple of them were pictures OF Shaling, drawn by a friend, Jessica), and a timed multiplication test. I wasn't too surprised to see that she got a 100% on the test, but I was still very pleased to see it.



There was a little glitch in her first full day of school. Her teacher is out sick for a few days (I'm assuming flu) and so she's had a substitute teacher yesterday and today. Yesterday was the first day she was to ride the bus home, but for some reason, ended up at an after school program held AT the school, but run by the YMCA. The school called me in regards to the confusion and luckily the buses hadn't left yet, so she was put on the correct bus to come home. It didn't phase her at all; she came home happy as a lark!

This past Saturday was my first entire day without her. I left the house around 7:30 a.m. to go coach the Rochester High School Scholastic Bowl team at a tournament. I didn't return until supper time. I confess...I missed her. Brock did great as Mister Mom though. Sunday, we had several friends over to watch the Bears-Packers game. What Brock didn't know ahead of time is that it was also a surprise birthday party for him, as I asked attendees to bring "Good God, you're old" cards. He turns 40 today and when I turned 40 last month, he gave me a ton of grief. Shaling played well with all of the kids.

Last night, I took her with me to a Ladies Guild meeting at church (Good Shepherd Lutheran Church in Rochester). It was soup & salad night and since she loves soup, I thought she'd enjoy that more than tagging along with Dad to Preston's drum lesson. She found a chicken soup with vegetables & shell noodles that she just loved. She had FIVE bowls.

Today, I gave a brief presentation to the Rochester 6th grade on China. It went very well and I enjoyed it. The kids were enthusiastic and asked great questions. Tonight, Preston has Sangamon Valley Youth Symphony Concert Orchestra rehearsal. Tomorrow I have a meeting with the school social worker. Busy, busy, busy...and I go back to work next Monday. How did that happen? The time has just flown by!

No comments:

Post a Comment