Monday, January 31, 2011

More Tears & Some Happy Videos

Last night, Brock was putting the kids to bed just before 9:00. Shaling was stubbornly refusing to lie down. She kept pointing at the clock, which displayed "8:55". I guess she is under the impression that she doesn't have to go to bed until 9:00, not realizing that Mom & Dad are in charge, not the clock. After failing to convince Shaling to lie down, Brock reached over and bumped her clock forward to 9:00. She was NOT a happy camper and got up, went into Preston's room (where Preston was trying to go to sleep), turned on the light and pointed at HIS clock.

At this point, Brock gave her a gentle swat on the bottom (which didn't seem to bother her at all). When she defiantly refused to go back to her own room, he picked her up and forced her into her own bed. THIS bothered her. She was broken-hearted and began crying...this time with audible sobbing, though I'm not sure how sincere the sobbing part truly was. She was genuinely upset, that's for sure, but the sobbing sounds resembled some forced crying sounds I've heard from other kids.

I think Dad felt guilty, because he then carried Shaling down the stairs to my arms for comforting. I told him that I really couldn't coddle her all that much, or I would be usurping his parenting. I gave her a good, strong hug...gave her a quick kiss, but then sternly told her she needed to go to bed. Brock then carried her back upstairs and put her to bed.

This morning, I had to go back to work, so I was out of the house before any of them were out of bed. Brock told me later that she was just fine this morning (as expected). These tears have little to do with adoption fears and a lot more to do with a battle of wills that she lost.

Anyway, here are a few videos of a happier Shaling.

In this one, Shaling is happily singing while riding her bike -- love the sound of her voice.

Shaling rides her bicycle from Amy Reynolds on Vimeo.



In these next two, Preston & Shaling are riding Preston's motorized scooter together. Before anyone says anything -- she DOES have a helmet. It just seems that she's lost it. They weren't riding far, so we let it go for a bit -- we're in for a slew of bad weather that will make outside play not possible. If her helmet doesn't turn up in the next day or two, I will buy her another one.

Motor Scooter 1 from Amy Reynolds on Vimeo.


Motor Scooter 2 from Amy Reynolds on Vimeo.

2 comments:

  1. ""I TOLD YOU"" that bicycle would be out sooner rather than later.

    :-))

    Illini88 from the message board.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you guys are doing a wonderful job of adjusting as a family and there is still more testing to come! LOL keep that positive attitude and stick to your guns...

    ReplyDelete